Thursday, October 27, 2011

costuming

Halloween is right around the corner! If you are doing the last minute scramble, don't fret. As long as you are willing to get creative, a great costume is at your fingertips.

First, consider what you already have. Most of my costumes in the last few years have been comprised of stuff I found in my apartment.

Example 1: I was a Greek Goddess three years running. (I move a lot: new place/new people...it's like it was a whole new costume.) I found a bed sheet in my room and paired it with a bit of leaf garland that was adorning my apartment.


Rad every time.

Example 2: Last year, I got a hand-me-down green organza skirt. I knew I wanted to wear it in some capacity for Halloween. So I brainstormed. I came up with a few ideas, but I ended up going with Mother Nature. I wore the green floor-length skirt and wrapped myself in some leaf garland (are you sensing a pattern here?). I topped off my look with green glamour eyes.
Not a flattering pic, but you get the idea.

Example 3: Lady Gaga. Love her.
Not my best work, but if you'll forgive me for that and my slouchy pose, I'll forgive you for not having a costume yet. Oh snap!

Next, think about what you can borrow and who you can borrow from. My costume this year is made up of clothes I'm borrowing from someone else. Was it a bit awkward asking a boy if I could wear his pants? Yes. But sooo worth it. Didn't cost me a cent, and it turns out he was more than willing to loan me his clothes.

Since I don't have a picture of this year's ensemble yet, here is another costume that I borrowed:
I know what you are thinking: Best. Costume. Ever. Borrowing is boss.

Third, take a look at thrift stores. Thrift stores tend to have awesome finds for cheap. Don't be afraid to venture into sections you normally wouldn't. A male friend of mine found a purple blazer in the women's section that perfectly completed his rocker outfit. I also found a great 80s-style dress at a thrift store for the low low price of $8. I might even wear it to one of the Halloween shindigs I attend this year. What an investment.
We. Are. Hot.

If you are still coming up empty, get punny. Clever costumes are memorable. In high school, I dressed as a cereal (serial) killer for the annual Boo Ball. I glued plastic knives to mini boxes of cereal, then attached the boxes to myself. A little corny, but it was definitely unique. I've also seen men dress up as "God's gift to women" more than a few times. Simply wrap yourself as a present labeled "To: Women   From: God." At least you'll get a chuckle.

My personal favorite:


If all else fails, I suppose you can go buy a costume. But where's the fun in that?

2 comments:

n300zx93 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sara said...

I just saw another good one that is super easy and so funny!

Dress normally, but hang a sign around your neck that reads: Nudist on Strike!

ha ha ha!